Thursday, September 18, 2008

Where There’s Smoke…

Like a lot of young people, I’ve smoked. It’s a (bad) social habit and it can be quite pleasant, especially at coffee shops or clubs. Sometimes I miss it (especially those Indonesian cloves I used to enjoy – and yes, I know how bad they are, so there’s no need to tell me), but I know I am – and the people around me are – much better off without the smoking habit.

I wish people who smoked wouldn’t endanger the health of other people by smoking around them. Society is making some advances, such as by not allowing smoking in hospitals or other public buildings or within a certain distance of the doors to such buildings, but not enough, and many smokers seem to just ignore these rules anyway. I can’t even mention how many times I’ve seen smokers smoking by big, blatant non-smoking signs!

Please follow the rules and don’t smoke in non-smoking areas. Don’t make me breathe your second-hand smoke when I have the right to breathe clean, fresh air.

And confidential to my landlord: could you please stop smoking in the house and letting your cigarette smoke come upstairs? I’m not paying to live in second-hand smoke, am I?


--Curly

1 comment:

teefus said...

I glad that the passed no smoking in public places here.