Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Raving about Students

The term is nearly over now, and there’s just marking left to do, so I will stop ranting about students for the time-being (I’ll have some more rants in the next semester!). Instead, I will point out that a lot of undergraduates are going through many major life changes, and I see it as part of my job to help widen their perspectives and to offer them support. So I’ll close this series of ranting posts about students on a positive note by saying that some of my students have really impressed me this year with their dedication to their work and their willingness to be exposed to new ideas.

In a couple of my classes, the students started off with some extremely naïve, occasionally even prejudiced, views. By the end of the semester, they were looking at and discussing topics in a very different manner. I was quite pleased with their progress. And seeing students really get something is what teaching is all about, and hopefully it’s part of what attending university is about for them too.

--Curly

No comments: