Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Pick a Nick

I have mentioned some of my name peeves earlier. Despite all the peeve stuff for my own name, I have to admit that I call some people by nicknames that they haven't chosen! They haven’t protested, but perhaps they just haven’t told me how they feel.

Shortening names and using nicknames – sure, this seems friendly and familiar, but it can be too much, especially if the person hasn’t agreed to the name. I am not saying you need to ask about every nickname, but if someone introduces himself as Jonathan or herself as Jennifer, you may not just want to assume that you can call them Jon and Jenny. Some people prefer their full names or find nicknames distancing rather than intimate.

--Curly

3 comments:

teefus said...

my is really big on this issue al though most people call her lynn she would be rather called by her full name.

Peeves and Rants said...

I am sure I have even heard your father call her Lynn rather than her actual name!
Yes, nicknames are tricky!

--Curly

teefus said...

yeah alomost everyone calls her lynn that does not bother her that much becasue its a form of her name but actully nicknames do.