Friday, July 4, 2008

The United States of the Americas

I must admit that I find the name United States of America quite odd (wouldn’t just United States do as well?), as I also dislike the term of identification “American”. It is easy to forget that America is not just one country and that in fact there is North America, Central America, and South America. Aren’t Canadians, Mexicans, Peruvians, Columbians, Brazilians, and everyone else on the American continents also Americans? Why has the U.S. usurped the term?

This article discusses the name “America” but doesn’t address my peeve. I wish there were some better term to describe people from the U.S. Clearly, one can not go around and say “I am a United Statsian” or some equivalent of that. But there must be some way to refer to citizens of the U.S. without implicitly rejecting or excluding all the other people who are technically Americans, too.

--Curly

3 comments:

teefus said...

I never thought about that before but that makes senes.

Peeves and Rants said...

Most people don't seem to think about it! That should change!

--Curly

Anonymous said...

That's why i got dual-citizenship -- so I can honestly say i am North American, lol! Actually, I like to mess with people -- when they say are you American, i say yes, I am from Canada. Peoples knowledge of geography is pretty slim ... and so they look confused... lol!
--kimba