Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Stay Away from Elderspeak

From today's New York Times:
Professionals call it elderspeak, the sweetly belittling form of address that has always rankled older people: the doctor who talks to their child rather than to them about their health; the store clerk who assumes that an older person does not know how to work a computer, or needs to be addressed slowly or in a loud voice. Then there are those who address any elderly person as “dear.”
Read more about what can peeve older people here.

--Prunella

2 comments:

Peeves and Rants said...

Oooh, Pru, you beat me to it! I was going to post this too. Great minds, etc. (Or is that great whiners? ;-)
Anyway, I admit that even as a not-yet-elderly person, I agree with some of the elderly people's peeves. I don't like being called "honey" or "sweetie" by people who don't know me, or being talked about as though I am not there, or treated like a child, or talked to as though I can't have any experience (this is the opposite of the elderly, who are treated like all their experiences are behind them). I sympathize with them and urge people to stay away from 20-and-30-something-speak too!
--Curly

Peeves and Rants said...

I vote for Great Minds!

--Pru