Sunday, July 12, 2009

Don't Be Rude, Attribute!

OK, so it's not a perfect rhyme, but I'm too steamed right now to wax poetic anyway. As I imagine I may have mentioned earlier on this blog, I routinely produce a free newsletter. Each issue is prefaced with a copyright notice and a specific request to forward the newsletter in its entirety if people wish to share it.

And yet, I have very often found segments of my newsletter simply cut and pasted and shared with others, WITHOUT ATTRIBUTION, on Listservs/discussion groups to which I belong. With the most recent issue, this has already happened twice (by two individual errant posters). Worse, the moderator does not seem to be posting my polite notes to the group pointing out where the material came from.

I've already written to each of the errant posters. One has already responded and apologized. I should be fair and give the other one much more time to respond before rendering any judgments on that situation.

But really, people, what is so hard about this? DO NOT CUT AND PASTE OTHER PEOPLE'S WORK, ESPECIALLY WITHOUT APPROPRIATE ATTRIBUTION.

It's really very simple. Not to mention ethical. And polite.

--Pru

3 comments:

Peeves and Rants said...

How annoying and unfair! You do the work and should be recognized for it.

Has there been any change since you posted this?

--Curly

Peeves and Rants said...

Yes, the other one did eventually acknowledge and apologize. Thanks for asking!

--Pru

Peeves and Rants said...

Plus, the moderator posted ONE of my messages to the group.

--Pru