Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Sugar and Spice and All Things Nice

This is a pretty general rant about how parents raise daughters. I'm not a parent, but I am a daughter, and I wish girls weren't raised to be nice and to always feel like they have to please others.

I'm sure there are parents who raise their daughters differently and perhaps things are changing now, but I nevertheless feel that I have not been served well by this kind of upbringing. I have a lot of trouble saying "no", I don't know what it means to live for myself, and I can't express my own opinions well, especially if I disagree with someone who has a stronger personality (note the anonymity of this blog!).

I hope this generation of girls will grow up to be independent and that they will learn that they only have to please themselves.

--Curly

2 comments:

Peeves and Rants said...

Oh, Curly, you have such wisdom and good sense to impart. Speak loudly!

--Pru (your partner in anonymity)

Peeves and Rants said...

Hard to speak loudly AND anonymously, isn't it? ;-)

--Curly