Sunday, November 15, 2009

All the Single Ladies (and Gents)

In recent times, I've had a number of conversations in which single people have complained about how others treat them. I had been aware that many partnered people are uncomfortable with singletons and try to set them up with romantic partners or don't include them or even just drop them, but I hadn't understood quite to what extent this happens.

Lots of people are single. Many -- perhaps most? -- are happy with this state of affairs (or, rather, this state of lack of affairs). Why should this make paired people uncomfortable?

People should be complete in and of themselves and not only when they are half of a couple. It isn't fair to treat single men and women differently than we would the coupled.

--Curly

1 comment:

Unknown said...

That's a really odd behaviour. I am lucky to not witness it often, I have many wonderful friends and I think I just meet good people. Relief. :)