Saturday, November 7, 2009

Preaching to the Unconverted, Part 2

Sorry, I must continue my rant against missionaries. In my last post, I complained about it on a personal level, but obviously it is a much bigger issue than that. I simply think it is wrong to go to another country/culture believing that you know better than the people there and that you possess the sole truth and must convince those people of it. During history, there have been many examples of people forcing their religion onto others, often using violence to do so, and this has lead to many problems, including the spread of diseases and the loss of languages and cultures and traditions. I think we should all have the right to believe what we want and act however we choose as long as it doesn’t affect anyone else detrimentally. We should respect others and to me it is very disrespectful if we think we have the answers and must convince/force others to believe what we do.

--Curly

No comments: