Monday, September 13, 2010

Giving the (Ring) Finger

While getting my nails manicured, the manicurist noticed a ring on my left ring finger. It was a silver band, engraved with the name of my alma mater. The manicurist asked me if I was married. I told her I was not.

She then asked why I wore a ring on that finger. She proceeded to explain that if men saw a ring on my finger, they would not ask me, and thus, "You will never get married! Don't wear a ring there!"

Um, okay. First of all, it is none of her business what my marital status is or what I wear and where I wear it. Second, I don't like her assumption that I must want a husband. Not everyone does, not even taking into account matters of sexuality.

I would have liked to give her the (ring) finger!

--Curly

3 comments:

Unknown said...

This would be a great post on My Fault I'm Female, http://myfaultimfemale.wordpress.com/ from the point of view that our jewellery should *obviously* reflect our marital status and sexuality to make life easier for the men who might like to marry us... :P

It sucks so much when people make assumptions. :(

Peeves and Rants said...

Someone I missed your comment for all these weeks, Lottie. Anyway, thanks for that info; I submitted it to that site now!

--Curly

Anonymous said...

I just saw it there on the site; nice work, Dr. Love!