Monday, September 20, 2010

Meat Products for Vegetarians

I always order a vegetarian meal on plane rides. Luckily, I also always read lists of ingredients rather than rely on what the airplane (or any other company, or any person, for that matter) claims is vegetarian.

On a recent flight, I was given a "vegetarian" breakfast, where the yogurt contained gelatin. Gelatin, of course, is made from animals, and is thus not suitable for vegetarians (or for people who keep kosher). I'm so glad I didn't eat this item before reading the back of the carton, but I'm sure lots of other people on the flight simply ate the yogurt.

I mentioned it to the steward and he shrugged and brought me some fruit. He didn't bother to notify any of the other vegetarians.

I complained to the airline (KLM) and they said it was not their responsibility, since they use a catering company. Well, they hire that company, so I'd say it is their responsibility. KLM really disappointed me. The representative who wrote back simply said they were "sorry [I] didn't like the meal." It has nothing to do with liking it. People are vegetarians for ethical, health, and/or religious reasons, and a vegetarian meal must respect and be truly vegetarian.

--Curly

No comments: