Wednesday, November 21, 2007

That’s No Lady(’s Portion)

At a bar a few months ago with a group of people, I ordered a pint of ale. The bartender asked me if I wanted the “lady’s portion”. The what? Apparently, a lady’s portion is a half-pint; I guess people assume women can’t, or won’t, drink as much as a man. I was a little annoyed, because I had in fact asked for a pint; if I had wanted a smaller portion, I would have asked if there was anything available. No, I said, I want a pint.

One of the men in the group I was with heard my exchange with the bartender. He was next in line to order and he asked for a lady’s portion. The bar-keep ignored the request and gave the man a pint.

That was an odd occurrence, I thought. But subsequently, I was offered the lady’s portion at other bars as well, even when I had clearly ordered a pint. I suppose the bartenders thought they were being helpful, but I found it offensive. Why assume that just because I am female I want or need a smaller portion, especially if I have already ordered something in particular? If, however, I’d asked about possible sizes, then it would have been fine to offer me the half-pint. But I object to gender-based assumptions in general and thus to the name “lady’s portion” and I also think it might put off men who would prefer to drink less.

--Curly

No comments: