Thursday, March 27, 2008

The Happy Face of Apostrophes

Anyone who knows me knows that I have a slight obsession with apostrophes. I've posted about them here before, but in my opinion, you can never have enough posts about apostrophes!

Recently, I was at a bus station in the center of the city where I live. I noticed a new sign advertising a route with frequent trips to the local university. The sign featured a big happy face and this happy face was wearing a mortarboard. Our supposedly-educated happy face was directly under large words that read: "Departure's to the university." Yes, of course, it should have read: "Departures to the university." So much for education!

Personally, I feel that the happy face should have its diploma taken away from it and that it should be blushing in shame, not smiling like an idiot!

--Curly

6 comments:

teefus said...

http://www.suntimes.com/news/roeper/870566,CST-NWS-roep01.article


thought you might appericate this read the section about the erine banks statue.

Peeves and Rants said...

Haha, thanks, Teefus!

--Curly

Anonymous said...

arrrrgh, this IS a constant one isn't it! Have to admit, see apostrophe errors in our university's literature all the time, even in job advertisements! hee-hee!

Now, currently, what is driving me up the wall is "loose" instead of "lose". I can make a loose noose, but if I lose it, that is another thing altogether, isn't it?
--kimba

Peeves and Rants said...

Oh, yes, Kimba, it is a constant problem. I've noticed that it is a growing problem, and I think people either don't think about it at all or else they think about it but then decide it doesn't matter, because generally it's easy to figure out what is meant anyway.
Ah, loose and lose! Good one. For me, I hear the two words in my head and they sound so different that I don't mix them up. Don't people sometimes hear in their heads the words they are writing?
No loose nooses for people who lose grammar rules! ;-)

--Curly

Anonymous said...

That sign at the bus stop makes my eyes bleed. I mostly seem to notice it when I'm either a) at the back of the bus queue or b) waiting a stupid amount of time for a bus, which generally means that an already not-good situation gets approximately a million times worse.

The person who started the rumour that you need an apostrophe for a plural should be beaten around the head with large cardboard cutouts of various punctuation marks. I'm more than happy to produce the aformentioned cutouts if necessary.

-- Kirsty

Peeves and Rants said...

Kirsty, we should print out lots of punctuation marks and carry them around with us, sticking them on signs whenever necessary!

--Curly