Saturday, August 30, 2008

Shoes Are Not Optional

Yesterday I was in my apartment building elevator when, to my surprise, another tenant walked on bearing a pile of laundry destined for the common laundry room. I wasn't surprised that someone else had entered the elevator, or that he was evidently in the process of doing his laundry. What did shock me was that he walked onto the elevator barefoot.

That reminded me of a peeve dating back to my last writing retreat. All of the artists/writers met at the dining table three times a day for meals. One of the artists routinely showed up barefoot. I hated sitting next to him. I like to choose the people I share meals with barefoot. I don't like to have them make that decision for me.

--Prunella

2 comments:

Peeves and Rants said...

Nice post, Pru. When I was an undergrad, someone who lived in my dorm went around without shoes and loved to come visit me and walk around my room and put her smelly bare feet up on my bed. Ugh. Ever heard "No shoes, no shirt, no service"? Maybe we should add "no socializing" to that list too!

--Curly

Peeves and Rants said...

Ugh! I wouldn't have been able to tolerate that behavior from the visitor!

--Pru