Monday, November 24, 2008

Ignorance is Astounding Yet Again

I am constantly amazed at people's ignorance, although I suppose by now I shouldn't be.

Recently, it came up in a conversation that I was not straight. The woman I was talking to looked at me in astonishment and said, "But you don't *look* gay!" Then she proceeded to say she didn't understand how relationships between women could possibly be emotionally or sexually satisfying.

She said in her experience, a woman needed a man with a penis in order to have a good romantic relationship. I explained that not everyone feels that way all the time, but she just didn't get it.

How hard is it to understand that some people who may not look stereotypically queer might need or choose to have same-sex relationships and might find them satisfying?

--Curly

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I don't know, I just don't get how lesbian/bi women get their kicks. *Shrug* :P

Kirsty