Monday, June 1, 2009

Baby Craze

This post may sound sort of judgmental and I apologize in advance for that. It’s just kind of frustrating to have so many female friends who get degrees from Ivy League or Seven Sisters universities, who talk about wanting to have careers, who try to crack the glass ceilings in their various fields, only to give it all up and stay home with their children.

Of course raising children is important work. I guess I just feel sort of disappointed that so many talented, educated women who could have a real influence on the world still see their main roles as being in the home. Couldn’t they share the child-rearing with their partners? Couldn’t companies be more child-friendly? Does something really change for women so they want nothing but to be mommies? Why does it seem that even in this day and age we are still living in a man’s world?

--Curly

3 comments:

Peeves and Rants said...

Are these mainly moms to young kids? Perhaps they are indeed planning to resume their careers once the kids are in school.

Pru

Anonymous said...

Oh, so good to have you back!! I couldn't agree more -- it's driven me bonkers for most of my life, and in my experience (and i am old now) i have only met one who actually kept her career. Some, insist on going on and on to me about how much i am missing due to my CHOICE not to have any, and well, i just totally agree with you here Curly! High-five!
--kimba

Peeves and Rants said...

Pru, I am talking about women of various ages, with kids of various ages. I know I might be a bit of an academic/careerist snob, but I have trouble understanding the whole giving-up-the-career thing.

--Curly