Friday, December 11, 2009

Black Eyed Pleas

One of my few celebrity crushes – and perhaps the most embarrassing one – was on the singer Fergie of the Black Eyed Peas. In my pursuit of Fergie, I have watched (and yes, I admit it, enjoyed) many BEP videos.

This peeve is not only related to BEP but to most music videos out there. Why are women scantily clad and portrayed solely as sex objects? Why are they bumping and grinding, usually with their gaze trained on the male singer, who is often unattractive and sloppily dressed but acts like a stud? Even Fergie, who does have a powerful voice, is nearly always wearing a minimum of clothes (okay, okay, I do like that, but I also chastise myself for liking it!) and she is shown in these videos as a sexy woman who is appreciated for her body and her looks, but not for her musical talent.

When will we get to a stage where we can focus on the music and on the story told by music? Why do we need half-dressed women in order to keep our attention?

--Curly

No comments: