Sunday, April 11, 2010

Information, Please

Well, back to matters related to writing and publishing...

I'm pretty picky about the writing contests I enter. But unfortunately, it's difficult to know beforehand how a journal, publisher, or organization is going to (mis)handle one key aspect of contest management: notification of contest results.

It really peeves me when I find out the results of a competition only when the organizer deigns to mention them on a blog--and only because I regularly check that blog. This is, in fact, how, just today, I discovered the outcome of a competition to which I submitted my work (and an entry fee) more than four months ago. Apparently, the results were made public online about a week ago.

Never mind that the organizers have my e-mail address (entries and fees were submitted online). Never mind that, when the organizers recently posted an announcement on a discussion board calling for submissions to ANOTHER of their contests, I wrote to inquire about this one (no one replied). It's irritating that they couldn't be bothered to let me know when to expect an announcement, let alone to inform me of the results directly.

I assure you that this is not a matter of sour grapes. Sure, I'd be happier if I'd won or placed in the contest that sparked this particular post. But one thing is certain: I will never submit to these organizers' contests again.

--Prunella Peeve

No comments: