Sunday, April 25, 2010

Ranting about Students: Part 2

In my last post, I ranted about students and their seeming problems with time. This issue doesn’t stop with them being unable (or unwilling) to turn their work in by the due date. Sometimes they simply don’t have the time to come to class prepared (i.e. having done the work required in order to participate). And sometimes they simply don’t have the time to come to class at all.

Students only have a few hours of class a week (generally 8 or so in my literature department). That leaves plenty of time for partying (and, ideally, for doing work), but I guess the remaining 160 hours are just not enough, so students feel the need to skip class as well.

Obviously, if someone is truly sick, he or she should not come to class. But I’ve had students claim to be sick and then, just a few hours later, I see them drinking and dancing at the pub on campus. They can’t have been too sick in that case, so clearly they just didn’t feel like spending an hour or two in class.

--Curly

No comments: