Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Phallophobia

I’ve just spent two posts complaining about penises, and that brings me to another rant: the idea that all feminists are boring, cranky, man-haters. I am a feminist (and I can’t understand why anyone wouldn’t be, since feminism is, in my opinion, about equal rights for everyone), but I’m not a man-hater (I am cranky and I can’t comment on whether I am boring). Why would I hate men? I dislike the power they have traditionally had and I am angry about some of the ways they have used and abused that power, but that doesn’t make me categorically hate them.

There are surely some misandrist feminists, just as there are misogynistic men, but I would guess that most feminists are not. So let’s get rid of that stereotype (while also getting rid of all the phallus statues and the way men touch themselves constantly!).

--Curly

No comments: