Wednesday, January 2, 2008

Another Weather-Related Peeve

Curly's most recent, winter weather-related post got me thinking. I'm sure we'll have plenty of warm-weather rants when the season arrives, but right now, as I type, the skin on one of my fingers has cracked open once again.

That's right--it's time for Prunella's seasonal skin disorder. It's bad enough that all my skin is even drier and itchier in the winter than at any other time of year. It's worse that the skin on one of my fingers routinely splits open and bleeds, leaving a lovely, semipermanent red fissure conveniently located across one knuckle.

During a period in my life when I was living in Paris, a local pharmacist took one look and cleared her throat knowingly. "Une crevasse," she told me, and quickly dispensed a magic soothing ointment.

Which helped. Trouble is, I didn't stock up before I left France, and at this point, with the same section of the same finger cracking open once again, the pitiful lotions I have here don't do the job. It's not serious enough (yet) to warrant a doctor's visit. (A trip to Paris, on the other hand....) Anyone have any home remedy suggestions?

--Prunella

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, there's always "udder cream", which tends to be thicker and often more protective of sensitive skin. Have you tried that? Body butters are also thicker than regular lotions, but may not be thick enough for your needs.
Then there's the old trick of slathering on vaseline or lots of lotion, then putting your hands (or feet, as needed) in small plastic sandwich bags (or, if you don't have such bags, plain old plastic wrap) and, if your hands are very chapped/cracked, gloves or mittens over the bags. Keep it that way for 30 minutes (or even overnight, if you can handle it). The warmth in the bag/glove helps the lotion really sink in.
Good luck!

--Curly, who loves lotion

Anonymous said...

Thank you for the tips, Curly!

--Pru