Friday, June 20, 2008

Remove Me From Your List

We all know how annoying spam is. But what I also find annoying is when people add you to their personal mailing lists and then regularly send out advertisements or mass messages. For example, sometimes I have met people at academic conferences and exchanged business cards with them. Then without asking me, they automatically add me to their lists and I start getting newsletters from them or publicity information about their latest books or, even worse, updates on their private lives. My irritation increases when such people don’t even have the courtesy to use blind carbon-copy (BCC). That means that they show all the email addresses they send their messages to and that in turn means that recipients can use those mass emails to phish for more addresses to send their own emails too. In other words, suddenly you can find yourself on a bunch of lists that you never wanted to join.

--Curly

2 comments:

teefus said...

thats sounds annoying that has never happend to me but something somewhat simalr has. there is this car warrenty company that keeps calling are house. It onw of those recorded meassges so times it calls a few times a day. Each time the meassage says it the last time they are calling.

Peeves and Rants said...

Oh, Curly--this is such a great topic. I could have written about it myself ;-).

Pru