Monday, June 2, 2008

Start the Show Already

I rarely go to the movies, but not long ago, I went to see a show. First, however, I had to sit through thirty minutes – yes, thirty minutes – of advertisements. Then there were previews for an additional fifteen minutes. I don’t mind the previews; they’re like mini-movies and they also show me what other films I might want to see. But the ads were ridiculous, selling everything from cars (no fewer than four different brands were advertised within half an hour) to cellular phones, from food to DVD-rental services. Is this necessary? Am I paying all this money – and movies are overpriced, in my opinion – to watch commercials?

--Curly

4 comments:

Peeves and Rants said...

Oh, Curly! I have to confess that whenever I've been in France I've LOVED the pre-movie ads. I don't know why I find them so amusing. Sorry to disagree on this one ;-).

--Pru

Peeves and Rants said...

Well, did you love them because you enjoyed seeing what was au courant in France? So that, in fact, what you liked was that they were FRENCH pre-movie ads? How would you feel in the US?

--Curly

Peeves and Rants said...

That's a good question. My impression has always been that the French are much more pre-movie-ad-crazy than we are here in the USA. I find far fewer ads in the US when I go to the movies. I think I did enjoy seeing what was au courant en France. Oui!

--Pru

teefus said...

besides ads I recently had a diffrent movie peeve. people bring kids in that are way to young to watch a movie. when i went to see prince caspin some women broought in a kid that muat have beem about 2. he ran around sheirking the whole time.