Saturday, February 20, 2010

Cashier, Not Inquisitor

I understand that perhaps working at a cash register is not the most enjoyable job out there (on a tangent, what *is* the most enjoyable job out there?), but that doesn’t mean check-out people should comment on customers’ purchases.

I routinely hear cashiers at the grocery story ask people buying wine either “Having a party, are you?” or “Have a bad day?” The customer often laughs uncomfortably. This kind of question seems rather awkward and inappropriate.

Meanwhile, I usually get comments about my purchases, because my shopping trolley is noticeably missing meat. Cashiers like to ask about my “vegetarian lifestyle” or tell me what I should eat, as though I need their input.

This isn’t just true of grocery stores, either. I get asked questions at other stores, too, such as whether what I am buying is a present (and no, they don’t always ask because they wonder about gift-wrapping) or what I am planning to do with the item. Why is it any of their business?

--Curly

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I read something like this once about library books. Someone was saying that they were annoyed about librarians commenting on the books they were withdrawing. Another commenter was a librarian, and she said that part of her training was to know *never* to comment on books. She said libraries are very public places, but in a lot of ways people feel they need some privacy, and to feel free to take home whatever books they need or want without feeling judged. It's the same with anything else, I guess.

Anonymous said...

When I'm at work (which is getting less and less often!), we're encouraged to talk about customers' purchases, to boost add-on sales ('we have a belt that would look really good with that top')and just because it's much less awkward than silence while you're putting the stuff through. I always think it soumds like I'm just after the customers money if I don't say anything to them apart from how much they owe. I know that's the point of going to the till, but it still feels rude. The only time I don't make conversation with customers is if they don't say hello to me when they come to the till, because that's fucking rude (grr, some customers!). Also, althought I enjoy talking to customers because I'm a chatterbox, lots of people don't but they *have* to because it's a criteria on Mystery Shopper checklists that the customer is offered certain things, and that the sales assistant comments on the purchase, so they could potentially be disiplined if they're seen not to be doing it. So, in short (read: long!), don't blame it on the cashier, it's not their fault!

- Kirsty

Peeves and Rants said...

I get your point, Kirsty, but cashiers at, say, Tesco don't have the same need to boost sales. And they couldn't even anyway, since we are already in line with our groceries and can't run back to get something just because the cashier suggests an "accesory" to the food you're buying. Chatting is fine, but I don't like feeling judged!

--Curly