Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Thirtynothing

I'm not exactly up on pop music, nor am I generally a fan of pop, but I can't resist agreeing with some of the peevish sentiment's in Lily Allen's 22 (you can watch the video online).

There are two main points. One is that once you reach thirty, your life is over, especially if you're a woman (Blur, an all-male group, claims that what is more likely is that "the mind gets dirty as you get closer to thirty" -- you can watch a video for this song online, too). As I approached thirty, I was certainly warned about what this new decade would entail, and the predictions were dire. Is thirty really the end of the best part of a person's life? I don't think so!

The other peeve in Lily Allen's song is about how a woman is waiting for a man to "pick[s] her up and put[s] her over his shoulder," i.e. to be the one to change her life, fix her problems, and take care of her. This is the message from society, too.

In other words, as we women approach thirty, we had better hope we find a man to ensure that our life doesn't get very depressing and hopeless.

--Curly

No comments: