Tuesday, February 9, 2010

To Dye For

I am getting pretty tired of people “helpfully” suggesting that I color my hair in order to cover the gray. There are several annoying things about this.

One major issue I have with these suggestions is that they are unwelcome. I didn’t solicit advice about my appearance, and yet people often feel they have the right to offer it. Why don’t you mind your own business and take care of your own looks before criticizing mine?

Secondly, the advice these people proffer suggests there is something wrong with gray hair. What is wrong with gray hair exactly? Do I look old (and what is wrong with that, anyway) because I have some gray (actually white) strands? Do I look ugly? Why?

On my paternal side of the family, people go gray/white prematurely, and apparently I am following that pattern. Some of the people dye their hair and it looks awful and fake, especially past a certain age. I have no urge to look like I’ve been pouring shoe polish on my head. Also, it isn’t healthy for your hair and I am not eager to dry out or damage my locks.

So thanks for the unwanted advice, but I think I’ll take a pass on the dye.

--Curly

2 comments:

Unknown said...

One day, when I go grey, I will not dye my hair. :) If people mention my grey hairs, I will say, "Oh, you noticed my natural tones and highlights? Thank you!"

Peeves and Rants said...

I might try that, Lottie!

-Curly