Saturday, December 15, 2007

Positively Grateful

Here on Peeves and Rants, we tend to complain (hence the name, right?). Sometimes, though, it’s worth reminding ourselves and our readers that we aren’t just pessimistic, cynical whiners. We also can find the good in people (occasionally) and we can appreciate when things go well (which they only do once in awhile anyway).

So I am happy to relate a pleasant experience, as I have once before on this blog. Often, people send me emails to ask for advice on the field I work in. I always respond to those emails, frequently taking quite a bit of my time to consider the questions they have posed, to find relevant links or book suggestions, and to give a thoughtful answer. Most of the time, I never hear back. A simple “thank you” would suffice, because that would show that they are aware that I actually don’t need to spend my time helping people I don’t know. But at this point, I have more or less given up hope on being thanked, and sometimes I wonder why I keep helping people who don’t seem to recognize or appreciate my efforts.

However, not long ago, someone wrote me back immediately to thank me. That was nice enough. She went further than that, though, by keeping me posted on how the situation was developing for her and how my suggestions had helped her. A final email I received from her this week updated me on how she had gotten the job she had wanted and negotiated an excellent salary, which of course made me happy to know. Also, she once again thanked me for my time and my knowledge, and she said she hoped to one day be able to offer me the kind of help I had given her. Frankly, it was repayment enough to be thanked and to hear that I had been of use, but the way she handled the entire situation was gratifying. Naturally, I expressed my appreciation to her for that.

If someone does something for you, why not thank him or her? It’s simple enough and it can help keep even the most cynical of people (like me!) willing to help you, and others, again in the future.

--Curly

No comments: