Sunday, March 29, 2009

Annoying and Awkward

When I was assaulted, I was so ashamed, as I mentioned in my last post, and that made me not sure if I should tell anyone. Finally, I told a couple of close friends by email. Most sent back only a sentence or two in response, saying that the situation must have been “annoying” or “awkward”, and then they proceeded to tell me what was going on in their lives.

It’s annoying when you order one dish at a restaurant and instead are given another one. It’s awkward when you try to make a joke and no one laughs. It’s not annoying or awkward when someone sexually assaults you. It is disgusting. It is upsetting. It is humiliating. It is wrong. It is traumatizing. It is many things. But awkward or annoying are not words I’d use to describe it.

What kind of response is that to give to a friend who has been hurt in this way and who has chosen to share it with you?

--Curly

2 comments:

teefus said...

like i said in my reply to you other post i am sorry this happend to you. i hope you are all right.

Peeves and Rants said...

Thanks, Teefus!
I am managing.

--Curly