Monday, May 19, 2008

Ewww....

This is beyond creepy. I've heard about purity balls before, but this article really made me realize how gross they are.

Fathers pledge to protect their daughters' purity? Um, what? It is great for fathers (and mothers, of course) to be involved in their children's lives, but this seems to be going too far. Why is this personal decision (about whether to remain abstinent) made into a familial event and so publicly, too? And if it is going to be a family occasion, why aren't the mothers involved and not just the fathers? And what about sons? Is it okay for them to have sex before marriage? And why is premarital sex considered so bad anyway?

One girl interviewed wants to hear that her father finds her beautiful. I think feeling that you are loved for who you are is more important than knowing if your parents think you are attractive. And talking with your parents about your sex life (or lack thereof) just seems unnecessary and, well, gross.

--Curly

5 comments:

teefus said...

this article futhers my being creeped out by christan evanglist. sorry if that sounds rude.

Anonymous said...

I find it kind of disturbing how the daughters don't make any promises, it's just the fathers. It's like their signing away their ability to control their own actions as well as promising to be 'pure', whatever that means. When it says about that girl saying that she wants to keep her "thought and actions pure" until marriage, you know it's a bit crazy. Her Dad is going to keep her from THINKING about sex, too? Weird!

-- Kirsty

Peeves and Rants said...

Thanks for your comments. I agree with you both. The whole think is disturbing. So glad I never attended such a dance with my own father!

--Curly

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry, when i read purity balls I had a whole different idea of where this was going .... wanders off blushing ... (winks)

anyway, the whole concept of what you were really talking about is so creepy and eywww i can't even begin ...

--kimba

Peeves and Rants said...

Thanks, Kimba! It is super-creepy.
I prefer your idea of purity balls! ;-)

--Curly