Friday, May 9, 2008

Keep Your Shirt On

As the weather warms up, I appreciate the fact that people want to wear fewer items of clothing. People pull their shorts, skirts, and tank tops from the closet and slip on flip-flops. Fine.

But why, why, why do so many men feel the need to go shirtless? I don't mean on the beach or while playing soccer in a park. I mean walking around the city, going into restaurants, visiting people, and so on. And far be it for me to criticize other people's bodies, but most of these men are rather, ahem, rotund, and frequently sweaty as well. Sometimes their shorts are hanging so low that going topless makes much more than their chests visible, too (let's just say that the old plumber's line is way more than I need to see). Is it too much effort for them to keep their shirts on?

And not only that, but recently, I saw a man walking down the street in sandals and his boxer shorts! It isn't that hot!

Please, keep cool, but have some sense of modesty and decency too!

--Curly

6 comments:

Peeves and Rants said...

Yes, this is a timely seasonal reminder!

--Pru

Anonymous said...

I was thinking this when I was walking to the train station yesterday! They always seem to be really hairy men too. Hairy, sweaty, half-naked men. Ew, I had to stop myself shouting in horror a couple of times! :P

-- Kirsty

teefus said...

i dont think it fair that men can run around shirtless but if a woman did she wold get arrest for indecent expourse. men should be made to cover up or they should let women "show off there chests too.

Peeves and Rants said...

I agree with you, Teefus. There is a definite double standard here, especially when you consider that many places do not allow women to breast-feed in public. So, it's a problem if a woman needs to feed her child, but men can go around and show us their hairy, chunky, sweaty bodies? Hmm.

--Curly

Unknown said...

Okay, now i am completely distracted and imagining a wonderful world where most men had to keep at least a tank top on, while women could revel in gloriously revealing their tops. I would do it in a minute! And of course, there are many places where one can. Then again, I have to say that the 'girls' here (and i use that term specifically) are also often guilty of showing me way more than i care to see (though the fleshy bits showing are usually just below the top and over the pants, muffin tops i believe they are called ...) ;-)
--kimba

Peeves and Rants said...

True, Kimba. Women are guilty of showing too much (unattractive) flesh too. Just the other day, I saw a woman sitting outside, half of her rear end visible because her low-cut jeans were too low-cut. She was not wearing underwear, either. And, though I like to bake and eat muffins, I don't like to look at them on people!

--Curly