Sunday, October 28, 2007

I Couldn't Have Said It Better Myself

It's always validating to find well-written expressions of thoughts/experiences that I've struggled to articulate. Over the past few days I've found two examples of such writing. And guess what--their subjects are not unrelated.

The first piece speaks to the general dumbing-down of the next generation. And the other recounts the experiences of a young faculty member who has suffered adverse consequences for her intense work ethic and high academic standards.

In the past--thankfully, not in my present job--I've been on the receiving end of treatment similar to what the second author describes. Often, that treatment has resulted from the very effort of trying to correct the sad situation the first one presents.

Which makes me sympathetic to their well-reasoned, well-written rants.

--Prunella

No comments: