Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Wrong Season’s Greetings

Halloween hasn’t even been yet, and already Christmas decorations and foodstuffs and presents wrapped in fancy paper and other holiday items are on sale all over my city. Why does it seem that Christmas comes earlier each year? It seems wrong – not to mention depressing – to see all the reminders of the winter holidays when the leaves have only now just started changing colors. I’d prefer to get to enjoy each season on its own terms, but instead my autumn is marred by all the fruitcake and the “Seasons’ Greetings” notices and the pictures of snowflakes and Frosty the Snowman. Any day now, I expect to hear Christmas carols, too.

Of course, I don’t actually celebrate Christmas, but even if I did, I don’t think there is a need to do so for two and a half months. Can’t they wait until mid-December before starting the Christmas celebrations? Can’t we enjoy one season and one holiday at a time?

--Curly

2 comments:

teefus said...

i know what you mean today i saw two xmas themed commericals on tv. they see to start showing the the day after halloween.

Peeves and Rants said...

I was talking to someone earlier this week who said that it really detracts from the special "Christmas feeling" if the holiday is celebrated for two months a year. In other words, the season means much more to him when the decorations are put up and cards sold and carols played and everything else only in the couple of weeks before the acutal holiday. Otherwise, it weakens the meaning and decreases feelings of expectation and anticipation.

--Curly