Tuesday, October 2, 2007

Without Further Ado...Prunella's First Post

Without further ado, here's my first post (though first I'd like to thank Curly for launching us into our project so nicely!).

So here's my initial peeve: the use of "adieu" when the writer intends to convey "ado." As in: "Without further adieu...." I recently noticed this malapropism on a blog, and, well, I was peeved. Especially because said blog belongs to a writer/editor who exerts quite a bit of influence on aspiring writers. Out of curiosity I then searched the Internet for "without further adieu" and--steel yourselves--located over 150,000 hits. (My random sampling reveals that only a small fraction of these address the problem of the phrase; unfortunately, most are simply using it in ignorant bliss.)

Now, I do have more than a passing acquaintance with the French language, so I understand that in some extreme circumstances one might indeed wish to put an end to those interminable farewells and say, "Without further adieu...." (But even there, use the plural, people! Adieux, not adieu!)

If you're an English speaker, and a reasonably well-educated one, you may have heard of a play by someone named William Shakespeare. The play is titled Much Ado About Nothing. Not "Much Adieu About Nothing." Right? Is it all becoming clear now?

I'm so glad that's out of the way. Let's move on--without further ado.

--Prunella

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice phrase

Liberalindy said...

I have to say that I enjoyed your particular rant!! I really hate it when people spell words incorrectly or use phrases incorrectly! If I do not know the spelling, I check it or I use another word!!

Fantastic explanation of adieu vs. ado!!! I was using it in an email and decided I would check the spelling and found your blog; it totally cracked me up! I may not be a writer or an editor or be perfect with the use of the English language. I appreciate your rants and found it funny and also comforting that I'm not the only one in the room rolling my eyes when I receive an email from a Professional with several misspelled words and poor use of the language! You are not alone!!!

It is definitely one of my pet peeves!!!

Peeves and Rants said...

Why, thank you, Liberalindy!

Pru